Exploits 7 day Expedition
Fortune Harbor to Twillingate, Bay of Exploits
Nestled comfortably within Notre Dame Bay, along NL's North East Coast, is the Bay of Exploits.Stretching from Twillingate to Northern Head and as far south as Botwood, the bay is the final destination for the waters of the mighty Exploits, NL's largest river. With nearly 1000 square km and over 30 islands, it presents some of the finest sea kayaking that NL has to offer. Join canoe Hill Adventures on a 7 day, 6 night expedition that will take you on a trip of a lifetime. The Bay of Exploits is awash with natural and cultural history and who better to learn it from than local guides who call this place home. Much more than just a sightseeing tour, our story of resettlement, our dialect, our traditional cuisine, and our stories will captivate you from beginning to end. For the first time on our expedition tours we are including a one night stay in our Lightkeepers Inn located at Surgeon Cove Head on historic Exploits Island. This tour is packed with activitiies and is truely a week of experiential tourism at its finest. Take a look at some of our activities:
- Hike to a remote lighthouse on Exploits Island and spend the night at our Lightkeeper's Inn. Experience what it must have been like to be a lightkeeper in a major shipping lane along a rugged coastline.Take a hot shower, enjoy our traditional cuisine and get pampered by our staff.
- Participate in our recreational cod fishery and enjoy a meal of one of the North Atlantic's finest offerings. Learn how significant this fishery was to the growth of NL, from the salt cod trade to its total collaspe in the 1990s.
- Harvest and feast on wild blue mussels.
- Paddle the same waters and learn about the plight of NL's indigenous but now (believed to be) extinct Beothuk Indians. The Bay of Exploits is well known for the tragic story of thier demise.
- Visit what were once thriving fishing villages on remote islands and learn about our famous "resettlement" program first implement by the Smallwood government in the 1960s
- Theres an excellent chance of whale viewing!
- And of course, as mentioned above, immerse yourselves in our dialect, our cuisine and our stories.
So we hope we have sparked your interest and feel free to contact us for more information or to sign up!
Cost of trip:$2195.00 per person plus 15%hst
Included in our price:
- Kayaks and required equipment
- All group camping gear including tents
- All food
- Thermal protection clothing in the form of wetsuits and paddle jackets
- one nights accommodation on the evening before departure and one nights accommodation on the evening of the take out.
- Transportation (if required) from Gander airport to the first nights accommodation/launch site and from the last nights accommodation/take out to Gander airport
Contact us for available dates.
Sweetland by Michael Crummey
River Thieves by Michael Crummey
River Lords by Amy Louise Peyton